Boston, MA – Over 600 guests were in attendance at the 4th annual celebration of the Boston Latino TV Access Awards, presented by Liberty Mutual, on Thursday, June 30, 2011, at Royale Nightclub. Voted the “Best Latin Gala” by “Best of TuBoston” in 2010, the Access Awards is the premium and most anticipated awards celebration of its kind in the region. This signature event recognizes leadership and success while providing a unique networking opportunity for the most influential individuals of New England's multicultural community.
“Liberty Mutual is proud to have been the title sponsor for the Access Awards. The event was best in class and was a great opportunity to highlight individuals and organizations that do amazing work in our communities. The evening was inspiring and energizing and the distinguished individuals and organizations present were a testament to the importance of events like the Access Awards. The evening reminded us of how far we have come and how the journey has only begun. Liberty Mutual is proud to partner with Boston Latino TV on this endeavor and others to come” said Yvonne Garcia, Director – Segment Marketing of Liberty Mutual Personal Markets.
Among the distinguished guests in attendance were: State Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez and City Councilors Tito Jackson and Marilyn Vega, Yvonne Garcia, Director – Segment Marketing of Liberty Mutual Personal Markets, Manny Gonzalez, Director - Hispanic Moët -Hennessy, Craig Tornberg, VP of the New England Revolution, New England Revolution players Kevin Alston, Andrew Sousa and Franco Coria, 2010 Access Award honoree and 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner Junot Diaz, 2010 Access Award honoree and 2010 Latin Grammy Winner Richy Peña, internationally know Salsa Singer Frankie Negron, and recipients of past Access Awards Hector Piña, Jose Masso, Justo Garcia, Hemenegildo Martinez, David Morales.
Boston Latino TV hosts Evelyn Reyes and Gil Matos welcomed the audience to the Access Awards and invited them to enjoy complimentary cordials courtesy of Hennessy Privilege. Guests enjoyed the delicious cocktails while listening to Latin music mixed by DJ Matos, "Best DJ of Tu Boston" 2011. Professional event photography was taken by Francisco Chacon and Red Carpet arrival photography by Luzmar Centeno of LuzPortfolio.
The opening performance featured the New England Revolution’s promotional team, The Rev Girls. The ladies showed off their impressive dance moves to Jennifer Lopez’ newest hit, a collaboration with PitBull, “On the Floor”.
The ceremony continued with opening remarks by Araminta Romero, President and co-Founder of the Access Awards, and Tim Estiloz, host of Boston Latino TV, followed by a special recognition to honor the 25th anniversary of WCEA Boston. Digna Gerena, Executive Producer of Boston Latino TV and Co-Founder of the Access Awards, joined by Josiane Martinez, spokesperson for the Governor of Massachusetts, presented Peter Cuenca with a Massachusetts Governor's Citation in honor of his 25 year legacy in television Broadcasting. Mr. Cuenca also received a citation for his many years of service to Boston’s Latino community from the Office of Mayor Thomas M. Menino.
This special recognition was followed by a tribute to Peter Cuenca by Venezuelan singer Alexander, who performed a rendition of “Dos Gardenias Para Ti” as dancers Fran and Mariale from Dance Fusion accompanied him on stage.
During our brief intermission rising star Elisa Rodriguez wowed the audience with her new song “Que me Importa”.
The 2011 Access Awards were presented by past honorees and current sponsors in the following categories:
- The Influential Leader Award was presented by Yvonne Garcia of Liberty Mutual and David Morales Vice President, Public Policy and Planning Steward Health Care System, to Ferdinand Alvaro, Esq, Partner in Charge, Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan, LLP.
- The Visionary Award was presented by Juan Aurelio Lopez, LULAC’s National Health Commissioner for the Northeast, and Maria Rodriguez, Heineken Representative, to La Alianza Hispana. The award was accepted by Janet Collazo, Executive Director of La Alianza Hispana.
- The Make a Difference Award was presented by Araminta Romero, President and co-Founder of the Access Awards and Tim Estiloz, Boston Latino TV Host to Ralph de la Torre, MD, Chairman and CEO, Steward Health Care. In his absence Miss Romero and Mr. Estiloz graciously accepted on his behalf.
- The Media Award was presented by Jose Masso, 2008 Access Award winner and host of Con Salsa!, and Madelyn Garcia, owner of Madelyn Garcia Real Estate, to Marcela Garcia, Editor of El Planeta.
- The Community Networking Award was presented by Ramon Soto, President of El Jolgorio de Massachusetts, and Karla Medina, owner of KMSwimwear, to El Mundo’s Professional Mixer The award was accepted by the entire Executive Team
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit Award was presented byRichy Peña , President and co-Founder of the Boston Music Conference and 2010 Access Award recipient, and Gaby Salas, COO and co-Founder of Rich Republic, to Jody Mendoza, owner of Mojitos Lounge and co-Founder of Rich Republic
- The Artistic Expression Award was presented by Manny Gonzalez, Director of Hispanic, Hennessy Brand and Evelyn Reyes Boston Latino TV Host, to Manny Perez, one of the most recognized Latino actors in Hollywood. Manny is also the director, producer and writer of the movie “La Soga”.
In addition to the awards, each honoree received a congratulatory letter from junior United States Senator from Massachusetts Scott Brown.
The ceremony culminated with a featured performance by singer Yunel Cruz performing his current hit “Dominicanita”.
The 2011 Access Awards was presented by Liberty Mutual, and proudly sponsored and supported by: The Merge Point, Hennessy Privilege, Heineken, the New England Revolution, ROCA, Catalina De La Torre, Hotel 140, Spaulding Rehabilitation Network, Greater Lawrence Family Health Center, KMSwimwear, Rich Republic, Roots United, Russo Limousine, Russo Tux, Roman Marketing Group, Big Sister Organization, Fresco Inc., Law Office of Dennis Benzan, Gallucio,Watson, Webhe, LLP, Luv Bug Production, LuzPortolioboston.com, Francisco Chacon, Dj Matos, Madelyn Garcia Real Estate, Merengue Restaurant & Catering, and many others who dedicated resources to spread the word; ALPFA Boston, Las Comadres Para Las Americas, the Latino Professional Network and the Latin American Professionals Group at State Street, among many others.
Ethnic media partners supporting the event include El Mundo Newspaper, Mas Tv, ¡Con Salsa! with Jose Masso, Ethnic Online, The Bay State Banner, Univision Nueva Inglaterra, Telefutura, El Planeta, Exhale Magazine, Revista Que Tal, Candela Magazine, Pa' La Calle con la Fraga.
SAVE THE DATE! 5th Annual Access Awards on June 28, 2012.